Thursday, October 8, 2015

Halloween Haunt Too Haunted?



So, supposedly someone built a room sized alleged Devil's Toybox as an attraction that's driving people to madness and suicide. According to the article, it's just a few hours away from here.

A Devil's Toybox, for those who don't know, is a mirror cube with all the cubes facing inward. It's called a Devil's Toybox because of long standing superstitions about devils and mirrors and having that many mirrors facing each other draws out the devil I guess.

A reader sent the link to me to get my thoughts on it, and much though I'm afraid of monsters in the dark, I'm not too worried about this one. While I do believe that the phenomena of a Devil's Toybox is real, I followed the links in the article, and the one telling the story of the one built in 2014 as a Halloween attraction reads a lot like creepypasta, urban legends that are made up on message boards either just to see who can come up with the scariest, most plausible story and/or who can convince the most people that it's real. The account is a little too well written and structured for me to think it's real. Plus, it doesn't name the town, and also the guy who wrote it, Joel Farrelly, though he is a character in the tale, has also written a bunch of other horror stories and published a book of creepy horror stories, so either he's cursed to be plagued by the supernatural (entirely possible) or he's just a pretty clever aspiring horror author (much more probable).

That being said, ideas are infections, like viruses, and I wouldn't be shocked if someone felt inspired by this work of likely fiction and created built a room-sized Devil's Toybox.

Keep eyes out there, Strangers, for anything you might think is supernatural in nature, and if anyone happens to know of that little Louisiana town that actually does (or did) have a full sized Devil's Toybox, let me know.

Stay Strange!
-Steve

5 comments:

  1. I've heard tell in more than one place that the streets of Lafayette are their own special kind of devil's toybox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? How fascinating! A devil's Toy Box is built on mirrors, which you could get from shop window reflections. A rainy day would serve as the floor mirror with puddles. I wonder how they would accomplish the mirrored sky? Does anyone in Lafayette know of a place where the shop windows are close enough to create an endless reflection in the right circumstances? Are they near any reflective surface overhead that might serve as the top of the box? I'd love to know more!

      Delete
  2. I heard that they tried to build one in Canberra several years back, you can't think Tony Abbot won without some help from that side surely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to research who Tony Abbott was. I'm not as up to snuff on my foreign politics as I should be. But having looked him up,

      Ha! You can say that again! I'll keep an eye on his dealings, especially with the US.

      Delete
  3. I wrote the original article this story is citing, if the author or anyone had any questions, etc. regarding the Toy Box.

    ReplyDelete